This weekend, HK and I had a small gathering of friends over for dinner. It is the same group that we have been going to Destin for Memorial Day with for the past 10 years. So we know each other REALLY well. (Pajama Parties, skinny dipping, coast guard interrogations….oh, wait, that’s another story….)
Good conversations around a roaring fire, smooth music in the background, pups at our feet or on the couch. That’s how I’d rather spend quality time with friends most any day. Anyway, there is just something about breaking bread with friends that warms the cockles of my heart, especially when I get to do the cooking!
I made my signature Brunswick Stew as the main course– so easy because you just throw everything in the crock pot that morning and leave it alone until time to eat. I also made a YUMMERS Onion Souffle Dip that was gone before i knew it. (I served it with both crackers and rutabaga slices for a peppery, low cal dipper.
So, by popular demand, as my gift to you, (said with tongue in cheek-but really, you asked for it…) here are those two recipes. If you try them, plesas post back and let me know what you think, if you would make changes, etc…
Jules’ Crockpot Brunswick Stew
- 1 med. Onion, chopped
- 28-oz can chopped tomatoes
- 1 lb each chopped pork (and/or beef) and chicken. ( I sometimes buy the Lloyd’s BBQ meat in a tub, sometimes just pre-diced chicken or a roasted chix)
- 1 can creamed corn
- Cup or so of lima beans,
- Cup or so of okra,
- 1 can whole kernel corn, drained
- ½ C. BBQ sauce (hickory smoked)
- splash of vinegar or lemon juice
- pinch of sugar
- ½ to 1-C. broth, stock
Put it all in the crockpot and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours. Stir occasionally. Serve w/ cornbread. ENJOY!!!
Onion Souffle Dip
- 2 pkgs lo fat cream cheese
- 1 C. mayo (not fat free, but can be lo-fat)
- 1 ½ C. Grated Parmesan Cheese
- T garlic powder; T worscestershire sauce; t. tobasco;
- 1 ½ C. chopped onion (sweet)
- 1 T. chopped scallions or chives
Preheat oven to 350. Combine everything except chives. Put in a casserole dish and top w/ chives, pressing lightly. Bake 50-55 minutes. Until the middle is set. Serve warn w/ chips or vegs (sliced rutabaga is yummy!)
Food— the gift of Love!